BWA General Council Resolution 1981.1
Affirming the Baptist heritage of religious liberty which has, from its inception, upheld the right of all people to practice and propagate their religious faith without let or hindrance;
- We welcome the proposed United Nations “Declaration on the Elimination of all Forms of Intolerance and Discrimination based on Religious Belief.”
- We accept it is generally consistent with the cherished heritage of Baptists and with manifestos and resolutions of numerous Baptist World Alliance Congresses.
- We observe that, while its adoption would not give it the effect of law and would not bring about an immediate change in the practice of Governments, it would have strong moral force in the affairs of the nations.
- We strongly commend the proposed Declaration and urge its adoption by the United Nations.
- We encourage our member bodies, with this end in view, to communicate to the Foreign Ministries of their respective Governments the desire that such Governments support the Declaration in the vote of the General Assembly.
Original Source Bibliography: Claas, Gerhard, editor. Baptist World Alliance 1981 Yearbook: Minutes of the General Council Meeting and Directory. Washington, DC: Baptist World Alliance, 1981.
Original Source Footnote/Endnote: Gerhard Claas, ed., Baptist World Alliance 1981 Yearbook: Minutes of the General Council Meeting and Directory (Washington, DC: Baptist World Alliance, 1981), p. 37.
Online Document Full Citation: BWA General Council Resolution 1981.1 United Nations Declaration Concerning Religious “Intolerance and Discrimination”; https://www.baptistworld.org/resolutions.
In-text Online Document Citation: (BWA General Council Resolution 1981.1).