BWA General Council Resolution 2011.9
The General Council of the Baptist World Alliance, meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from July 4-9, 2011:
RECALLS that when Jesus approached Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, he wept over the city, saying, “If you, even you, had only recognized on this day the things that make for peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes” (Luke 19:42) and
ENVISIONS Jesus weeping over many cities and nations of our world because we do not know those things that make for peace.
THEREFORE the General Council:
ENDORSES the following ten practices of “just peacemaking” developed by scholars led by Baptist Professor Glen Stassen;
1) support nonviolent direct action,
2) take independent initiatives,
3) use cooperative conflict resolution,
4) acknowledge responsibility for conflict and injustice, seek repentance and forgiveness, 5) promote human rights, religious liberty, and democracy,
6) foster economic development that is just and sustainable,
7) work with cooperative networks in the international system,
8) strengthen the United Nations and international organizations,
9) reduce offensive weapons and weapons trade, and
10) support grassroots peacemaking groups and voluntary associations,
URGES all Baptist conventions, unions, churches and individuals to learn the practices of “Just Peacemaking”, to incorporate them into the teaching of the “things that make for peace” in our congregations and institutions, and to support these practices in the various contexts represented in our Alliance; and
CALLS on the various governments of the world to pursue these practices of “Just Peacemaking” in their leadership, policies, and actions.
BWA General Council Resolution 2012.1 Appreciation for Gardner Calvin Taylor
Original Source Bibliography: Callam, Neville, editor. Baptist World Alliance 2012 Yearbook: Minutes of the General Council Meeting and Directory. Falls Church, VA: Baptist World Alliance, 2012.
Original Source Footnote/Endnote: Neville Callam, ed., Baptist World Alliance 2012 Yearbook: Minutes of the General Council Meeting and Directory (Falls Church, VA: Baptist World Alliance, 2012), p. 148.
Online Document Full Citation: BWA General Council Resolution 2012.1 Appreciation for Gardner Calvin Taylor; https://www.baptistworld.org/resolutions.
In-text Online Document Citation: (BWA General Council Resolution 2012.1).